Fall sports are in full swing! It’s the perfect time to get a refresher on ways to keep your young athlete’s dental health game day ready.
Reach For Water To Stay Hydrated
Staying hydrated is so important for your young athlete’s dental health when participating in sports. Avoid the temptation to reach for a sugary sports drink by packing water for practices and games. The sugars from these drinks mixes with the bacteria in your mouth to produce an acid that weekend the outer shell of your teeth, weakening it and potentially increasing your risk for cavities.
Protect Those Chompers
Mouthguards are an integral piece of equipment to help soften blows that can cause chipped or broken teeth, cut lips, or even potential jaw fractures. Having a custom-fitted mouthguard from your dentist individually created for the right fit and comfort level is a great way to also protect the soft tissue of your tongue, lips, and cheek lining and be an extra layer of support for your orthodontic appliances.
Caring For Your Mouthguard
There are some basic steps you can take to support the longevity and effectiveness of your mouthguard.
- Keep your mouthguard clean and dry between uses.
- After wearing, make sure to clean your mouthguard by brushing it with toothpaste as you would your teeth.
- Also remember to give it regular, deeper cleanings in cool, soapy water. Rinse thoroughly again before use.
- Make sure to store it out of easy reach in its provided vented container. This not only provides for air circulation and prevents the growth of bacteria but also keeps it safe from curious family pets.
- Make sure not to leave it in the sun or in hot water.
- Let your dentist know of any changes to the fit or wear of your mouthguard.
Don’t Skip Practice
Practice makes perfect! Keep your smile strong and healthy by brushing twice a day and flossing at least once a day. Making dental care a part of your daily routine benefits your health
If you would like to inquire about the best mouthguard for your child or have questions about your young athlete’s dental care in any way, please reach out to us at 248-852-3130 and we can answer any questions you may have.