What is Waterlase Dentistry?
Waterlase Dentistry is the use of laser energy combined with a spray of water, a process called HydroPhotonics, to perform a wide range of dental procedures more comfortably. It can be used for cutting teeth, bone and gum tissue and can also do things that can’t be accomplished with traditional tools such as the drill and scalpel.
Is Laser Dentistry new?
Lasers have long been the standard of care for many surgical and cosmetic procedures such as LASIK, wrinkle removal, hair removal and many others. The Waterlase was approved for hard tissue procedures in 1998 and, since then, has been cleared for numerous additional dental procedures. Thousands of dentists around the world have performed millions of Waterlase hard and soft tissue procedures resulting in a lower need for shots, anesthesia and drills.
Why do we use Waterlase?
There are many advantages to using the Waterlase over conventional instruments:
- Patient comfort – Waterlase Dentistry does not transmit heat or vibration, a major cause of the discomfort associated with the dental drill. In addition, using the Waterlase reduces bleeding, post-operative pain and swelling in many procedures.
- Accuracy and Precision – We are able to treat targeted areas of tooth structure and gum tissue while leaving surrounding areas unaffected. The Waterlase eliminates damage and conserves healthy tissue.
- Fewer Shots and Less Anethesia – This means no needles and no numb lip for many procedures!
- Better Tooth Preparation – Waterlase cavity preps increase bond strength of tooth-colored restorations for longer lasting fillings.
- Fewer Dental Visits – Waterlase Dentistry gives us the ability to perform many procedures that previously required referrals to a specialist.
Types of Waterlase Procedures:
- Tooth, bone and gum procedures
- Decay removal
- Cavity preparation
- Root canals
- Smile design
- General dentistry for enamel and dentin
- and more!
Is Waterlase Dentistry Safe?
Yes!! In our hands, the Waterlase is a safe medical device. As a Waterlase Dentist, we are committed to providing you with the best possible care and dental experience. Thankfully, somebody in this high-tech world made going to the dentist a pleasurable experience! We knew it would happen someday and that someday is now!
Leave a Comment